Sunday 2 July 2023

I'm back ... a feel-good, exuberant exhibition of Andy Warhol's textiles has inspired me to come back to the poor old blog. Who wouldn't smile at dirndl skirts and summer holiday frocks printed with ice cream cones and toffee apples, flacons of 'Fanel No6' or even Argyle socks and baby bootees? A philodendron print dress in pink or gold - from Palm Fashions of Florida - was very Mad Men's wives - and only needed to be accessorised with a dry martini and a Virginia Slim. I rather doubted if the owner of the witty brushes and brooms frock ever needed to wield one in her own kitchen ... surely the help did the dirty work?
So many things I haven't written up (more for myself taking stock at the end of the year when it's all melded into one!) ... a brief holiday in Lisbon, a jolly visit to a new gallery with a teenage friend who is the best company, one mediocre memoir and a long, fascinating biography, an exhibition that most critics loved but I thought was mostly tosh ...
But I did love Piet Mondrian's amaryllis - I would never have guessed the artist - and was thrilled when mine from last Christmas belatedly pushed out a couple of flowers. (They seem to thrive on neglect but possibly not as much neglect as they get here!) Blogs, pot plants ... must try to do better!
PS I forgot to mention films in my round-up but this French film about a single mother struggling to commute into Paris during a transport strike is completely gripping and yes, absolutely as good as a thriller. Still in cinemas but only just.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Oh hurray, you're back! All very interesting as usual. I would never have guessed the artist of that painting either. Now, please return more quickly next time...

Mary said...

As requested, Pam! It's nice to be missed!

Xiao Mao said...

I’m glad you’re back - I don’t often comment but always enjoy reading your thoughts. You have pointed me to all sorts of delights I would otherwise have never known about. I also very much enjoyed A Plein Temps - Laure Calamy a great favourite since 10 pour cent.

Mary said...

Of course, that's why she looked familiar! I hadn't made the connection.
Glad to see you're still reading, Xiao Mao - I'm surprised anybody is, I'm so unreliable!