Sunday 27 November 2011

I'd forgotten that it was Thanksgiving and I didn't realise until I got home that it was exactly 35 years to the day since the best concert that I never went to happened at the Winterland ballroom in San Francisco.
But it was also the best rock movie ever.
There were two young boys behind me as I went into the cinema. Maybe a bit older than I was in 1978.
One of them said, 'I've never seen it before.'
And his friend said, 'No, and I'm not quite sure who The Band were ...'
(Not quite sure who The Band were???? )
I turned around and said, Well, I saw it first time around.
And they looked at me, politely. As if I was the living proof that dinosaurs still walk the earth. When did my life become vintage? That's what I want to know.
(The movie has been digitally restored and enhanced which sounds like something I could do with, too.)

This film should be played LOUD, it says at the start ...
And it was even better than I remembered it.
And I still go weak at the knees for Robbie Robertson. (But he hasn't aged any better than I have!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one passed my by I'm afraid, not heard of the film or the band. I wonder what else I missed?

mary said...

It certainly took me back, Toffeeapple.