Monday 2 December 2013

The meat and rabbits and pigeons are very nice to draw. Eric Ravilious

Off for a jaunt by train yesterday to see this exhibition of Ravilious prints at Pallant House, completely charming but it's a tiny exhibition and I wish there had been more.

Never mind, Pallant House is a delight in itself and I was very happy to stroll around Chichester, listening to the seagulls, and the first Christmas carols, and pausing in the cathedral to look at the Arundel tomb.

Once every hour, a member of the clergy gets up in the pulpit  to admonish visitors and urge them to think spiritual thoughts. Yesterday it was a bossy female with an unmellifluous voice who hectored every spiritual thought right out of my head ...

I muttered something uncharitable and wondered what Larkin would think.
















6 comments:

Sue said...

Mary, how odd.I was just reading Barbara Skelton last night where she was noting the Eric Ravilious butchers shops.You always seem to find such interesting things to do and read.Thank you for posting about them all.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to burst in with an unrelated comment, but, have you remembered where the tickets are for Jude Law as Henry V tomorrow? Top right hand drawer of the chest of drawers in the bedroom...

mary said...

Toffeeapple, you're brilliant, you can be my social secretary any day! My heart stopped, ran to find the tickets - but it's the 13th not 3rd! Whew! Tomorrow would not have been good!

Sue, that sounds like it might be an interesting read.

Cosy Books said...

Hope you remembered to take me along in spirit, Mary!

mary said...

Of course, Darlene - I can just imagine you shopping on Ravilious's High Street.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I hope you heart didn't stop!