Saturday 18 August 2018















On an almost autumnal morning, I stood outside the house where Jane Austen died and thought of her and Cassandra ...




Then strolled next door to the much older building where I attended a very glamorous event (dress code: orange blossom and ostrich feathers and the family diamonds but I can't say any more) ...

And ate my lunch sitting here on a bench worn shiny by historical bottoms ...



On my way home, there was just time to sneak into Winchester Cathedral to pay a five minute visit to Jane's very plain grave and a memorial window that's so very un-Jane that if I'd commissioned it, I'd have demanded my money back.



I was far more taken by the west window, a random jigsaw puzzle of glass fragments that were pieced together after being smashed by Cromwell's troops. I had binoculars in my handbag - doesn't everybody? - but by the time I discovered it, I was in danger of getting locked in for the night.

5 comments:

Gina said...

This is the second time this week I've heard mention of Jane Austen and Winchester, a place I have never visited. I must remedy that!

Mary said...

I think it must be 40 years since I was last there, Gina. But if you're heading in that direction, the cottage at Chawton is more rewarding.

Mary said...

It was great fun, Sue - but under embargo!

Vintage Reading said...

I've been on a few Jane pilgrimages but never to Winchester. I still can't read accounts of her final days without getting emotional.

Mary said...

It does feel terribly sad looking up at the windows, Nicola - though you can't beat Chawton for a real Jane-fest!