Friday 10 August 2018



That innocent looking lady at Dulwich Picture Gallery was me ... wondering how fast I could grab and run because everything in the Bawden exhibition - and I've been meaning to go for weeks - is just so covetable.  You can't really see it here but the twinkle in the pigeon's eye on this London Transport poster is a tiny London Underground roundel. Clever.

February 2pm, 1936
This was one of my favourites. And although this watercolour - of a cemetery near Banff -  is in the Tate, I'd never seen it before. There was a snide review the Independent. And a much better one in The Times. What's wrong with joie de vivre and jollity?







But I was rather less enchanted by the Flower Fairies exhibition at the Garden Museum. (Ridiculously expensive to get in for the tiny exhibition space and I miss the old cafe that used to have excellent cake. ) The fairy watercolours are undoubtedly charming. My favourite is the nasturtium fairy with nasturtium seed pompoms on his shoes - but that's probably because I've been making nasturtium seed bread this summer.
However, I'd like to think that Cicely Mary Barker - whose fairies were little children from the nursery school run by her sister - would have been just as appalled as I was by so many spelling and grammar mistakes on the labels. If it were just the odd slip-up - but I counted four sloppy mistakes on the first six labels alone. Harrumph. Not good, especially in an exhibition aimed at families with children.

8 comments:

Lucille said...

Missed you again Mary! I haven't seen it yet.
I'd never noticed those pom poms before.
I had to correct some hideous nonsense and garbled caption writing at the Edward Stott exhibition at the Towner. The exhibition had been up for ages so I can hardly believe that no one else had drawn their attention to it. I think it was a cut and paste gone wrong. One sentence ended in 'and'.

Mary said...

I've been meaning to go for weeks, Lucille - but felt so lethargic during the heatwave. Their lovely mulberry tree doesn't look in the best of health.
I really shouldn't read labels because it always makes me cranky!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I don't understand how you can be 'snide about Garden's work I think it is wonderful and yes Mary, eminently covetable! I make do with postcards and prints..

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Using a phone for internet hence 'GARDEN for Bawden. Grrrr..

Mary said...

It was a spectacularly silly review, Veronica! Oh well, them as can ... and them as can't are critics!

Pam said...

Oh dear, I want to go now, and it's not handy for Edinburgh. We went to the Ravilious exhibition at the Dulwich at your recommendation, but that was before we had a grandbaby in Walthamstow who's even more delightful than Bawden. Maybe we could take the her to the exhibition when we're next down, but it's a bit of a trail ...

Intriguing about the flower fairies. There was one, I remember, that was the spitting image of my younger daughter, the grandbaby's mum.

Mary said...

You'll have to be quick, Pam - I think it's closing soon. I, on the other hand, would very much like to see the Rembrandt exhibition in Edinburgh. have you been?

Pam said...

No! I didn't even know it was on. Will check... We've been busy with grandchildren and such like.