Saturday 25 April 2020



Actually, at the moment I've got lots of eggs and no oranges. (No strong flour/yeast/buttermilk either! But lots of beans ... and why did I buy tinned salmon, I don't even like it!)
I came across this recipe and thought I might try it. Serves 8-10 and there's only me. Still, serves 8-10   only ever serves six if you cut a normal person's slice, and I haven't made a cake since Easter - which counts as a diet! (Now trying to remember whether Easter was last week or the week before, but it's all much the same, isn't it?)
I've never managed to finish Few Eggs and No Oranges. It was the first Persephone book that I ever bought. But maybe now the time is right for another attempt.
I have been reading the Countess of Ranfurly's wartime memoir. (Mildly irritated at her entitlement thinking it's okay to follow her husband into a war zone!)
But my best COVID-sanity tip this week is Anne with a E. Perfect binge-watching as there are many, many episodes and two series in, I've still only got as far as the arrival of Anne's lovely teacher Miss Stacy. In trousers! On a motorbike! I'm sure LM Montgomery would need to be brought round with smelling salts. And was I simply too innocent to guess that Diana's prim Aunt Barry was living the life of Gertrude Stein? Not for purists - but fun.

Italian water cake will not be featuring on the menu again. It's not awful, just a bit - vegan. Not too bad with copious strawberries and cream on top but it'll never beat a good lemon drizzle. 

7 comments:

Cosy Books said...

I remember tip-toeing off to bed early every night when I read Few Eggs and No Oranges because it was so riveting. These days I'm off to bed early to watch another episode of Malory Towers (practically under the covers!).

callmemadam said...

I've not been able to get through Few Eggs and no Oranges; I found it really dreary.
I have lots of eggs (neighbours fetched me some) but no flour. Or oranges.

I thought Anne with an E was dreadful (except for the lovely countryside) and gave up on it. Why make an optimistic book into a film about abuse?

I've read To War with Whitaker and I know what you mean about the entitlement but she was a remarkable woman. I think I've reviewed it under Women in Wartime or some such tag.

Mary said...

I've tried twice with Two Eggs and No Oranges, Darlene - and like Callmemadam, I found it dreary. It's a long book - and I can't imagine that Vere Hodgson would have been a fun companion.
I made the cake as I didn't want to squander all my eggs/butter ... can't say i'd bother making it again, it definitely had that vegan quality! I think I was just intrigued by the name and all that water. (Took miles longer to bake through than the recipe says.)
Did you ever read Budge Wilson's prequel to Anne, Callmemadam? I haven't seen it credited but I wonder if they drew from it, as it's all about the darker side of Anne's background. It's quite strange how the bits that are true to the book are very true - then the next few episodes bear no resemblance. Takes a lot of padding out to stretch a short book into several series.

callmemadam said...

No, I haven't read Budge Wilson. Naughty not to credit it if they pinched the ideas.

Mary said...

Well, it's years since I've read it so I wouldn't go as far as that, callmemadam - let's just say it sprang immediately to mind! It is getting very silly - Gilbert goes off to sea, next thing he's working for a doctor - and he's still in short pants at school, doing spelling tests!

Pam said...

Ok, I won't bother with Anne. The Diary... intrigues me, though. I LOVE reading diaries. But if it's dreary... not so keen, especially at this not-top-of-the-world happy time.

Mary said...

I've been quite grateful for Anne, Pam - 27 hours filled! And I spent yesterday happily reading children's ballet books. Now I think of it, it does feel a bit like reverting to childhood ... hours of boredom and no choices!