Friday 27 August 2021

This is the most gorgeous book to browse and flick through - but I don't think I've ever read less enticing recipes! (The author warns that results can't be guaranteed!) To be sure, the famous boeuf en daube from To the Lighthouse sounds mouth-watering - 'its confusion of savoury brown and yellow meats, and its bay leaves and its wine' - and I'd happily lunch off soles and partridges and fine wines at a Cambridge men's college, if not off plain gravy soup, beef and yellowed sprouts and prunes and custard as offered to Virginia Woolf at Newnham in 1929. The Bloomsberries were a greedy lot - but this wasn't a high point in our national cuisine. I've a soft spot for a suet pud - made with proper butcher's suet - and I've no qualms about offal ... but Lydia Lopokova's boiled beef and brain in a wine sauce didn't have me running to the butcher (maybe I'm being unfair as I've never tasted brain) - and so much aspic and bechamel sauce with everything. I felt a longing for colour and crunch. Chocolate and Chivers' strawberry jelly mould, anyone?

6 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Yes please!

Mary said...

You can have my share, Vronni! Maybe with Armistice Chocolate Creams? Sounds like a bought Swiss roll - but I guess in 1918 you mightn't have been too fussy.

Pam said...

Hmm, as a vegetarian I'm now feeling slightly ill...

Mary said...

Some of it is a bit nose to tail, Pam!

Sandy Arbuthnot said...

Bonjour, Mlle Miniver, I read a Janet Malcolm interview with Frances Partridge? I think -and FP said to JM that all anyone seemed to remember about her was her cooking. JM sympathetic to this but then FP gave her something she had made them for afternoon tea and Jm commented she could see why people raved about her cooking.

Mary said...

Hello, Sandy. Yes, the book spans many years - and two world wars - and the food definitely improves with time! We'd have been quite safe having afternoon tea with FP!