Wednesday 3 November 2021

Just what we need ... Silent Night: a movie full of cheer for the second Christmas of the pandemic. Spoiler alert ... Think Nevil Shute's On the Beach - the Yuletide version, with Keira Knightley and designer frocks. The planet is doomed, poison gas will be here before Santa, the water is a funny colour so there's nothing to drink but Fanta or prosecco - and do you fancy a sprout with your government-issued cyanide tablet? Would you really forget to cook enough roasties for your last meal on earth? Surfacing into a gloomy, grey afternoon - yes, I felt quite depressed. Might need to watch It's a Wonderful Life, or even Love, Actually to take the taste away. Luckily I'm off to a concert tonight at the Festival Hall. Though it was depressing, the film did keep me amused and gripped ... which is more than I can say for The French Dispatch last week when I confess I slumbered through most of it.

5 comments:

Lucille said...

Hello Mary, I just wanted to check if it is you asking to follow me on Instagram. The request came twice with your blog name appended with 2 then 3. As there are no posts on either of them I couldn’t be sure it was you before confirming.

Mary said...

Oh, it is me, Lucille - I am now Mrsminiversdaughter3 so ignore no 2. I got locked out of my original account - think it was to do with the outage that was reported in paper the other day - and can't get back in so I started a new one with a new e-mail address.
Isn't life compllcated! I've been trying to transfer all the people I was following - apologies for being a nuisance.

Pam said...

Well, I don't think I'll be watching that! Thanks for the warning...

Mary said...

Think of it as an antidote to Christmas overkill, Pam! My neighbours have their very lurid Christmas lights up already - so by the end of November, I might be more than ready for a black Christmas!

Pam said...

My husband and I knew Keira Knightley's mother when we were all young. She was somewhat silly and affected, though very pretty. Ah well, not so silly as it turns out...