Sunday 14 November 2021

The shortest book I've read this year - a very slim novel indeed, I started it in bed last night and finished it this morning - but quite the most compelling. Published in 1938,it's a series of letters between a Jewish art dealer in San Francisco and his cultivated, liberal German friend - who very quickly becomes a Nazi - and the disintegration of their friendship. The postscript by the author's son describes how the story was inspired by real events. The twist at the end of the book is simply breathtaking. It was a best-seller in America and England, a prescient indictment of Nazism - and then largely forgotten after the war. There was a film in 1944 which I see is on YouTube. You know when sometimes you want to jump up and down, and press a book on all your friends and say, 'You simply must read this...'

4 comments:

Sue said...

Agree, Mary. Shocking book and cleverly paced writing. Have you read the Reunion by Fred Uhlman? Another short but moving story about the same period in Germany.

Mary said...

Yes, I read it a few years ago, Sue - and I think I wrote about it here - another very spare and powerful book.
I watched the film of Address Unknown last night - quite true to the book, though they altered the family relationships which I think was a mistake.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Sounds brilliant - will try to track it down...
xxx

Mary said...

Quite gripping, Vronni.