Saturday 27 August 2022

There's definitely a hint of autumn in the air, so who knows how many balmy evenings are still in store? Holland Park is such a lovely setting for opera and we really enjoyed last night's performance of Vaughan Williams' Sir John in Love, sitting in the front row in big, comfy armchairs ... if only other theatres would copy! A last-minute decision mid-afternoon, so no time to organise a picnic ... decades ago, when I must have had more energy, we used to have huge, elaborate picnics in the park before the performance. (Showed my friend the railings where I got bloodily impaled after we got locked in after closing time - shudder! I was never the type who could clear a fence with a skip and a jump!) As I'm deeply immersed in a food history project right now, I was giggling at that Shakespearean insult, 'You Banbury cheese!' ... and wondered how many of the audience would get it. As for "let the sky rain potatoes ... hail kissing-comfits and snow eringoes" ... I could have pointed them to a rather tasty pie recipe.

3 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

That sounds like the perfect way to enjoy a performance!

I winced at your impaling tale. As a child; a neighbour's child was alleged to have fallen from an upper floor window and impaled himself on the basement railings; just the thought of it has always made me shudder...
xxx

Mary said...

I still shudder at the thought, Vronni - could have been a lot worse, but it was a very nasty graze. And I was far too old even then to be climbing railings! But aparta from those happy memories - it was a lovely summer night out last night!

Pam said...

Deeply immersed in a food history project? Why? I have never been even shallowly immersed in a food history project. Are you a food historian? I'm fascinated.

In railing terms, you remind me of the time when my athletic son and I approached a lowish fence. He stepped over it and I walked round it, via a small gate. "I could have stepped over it," I explained, "if pursued by a pack of wolves."

He looked at me. "Faster than the wolves?" he enquired.