Friday 15 September 2023

Not setting the intellectual bar very high this week, as you'll have guessed from my last post - but I've been really enjoying this old-fashioned children's book and galloped through it in a couple of days. I read the Persephone edition but this old Puffin cover seems rather more appropriate than Persephone's elegant dove-grey jackets which would have had zero appeal to me as a 10-year-old. Warning: it's best to switch off your critical faculties and just wallow. Once you start nit-picking about feckless parents who abandon their children (think a dry-land version of Swallows and Amazons' 'only duffers drown') and wonder why none of the children seems even mildly distressed, let alone traumatised (perhaps because Daddy is a foul-tempered crank and Mummy's a drip); and why, even though there's a master-class in hay-box cooking, nobody explains how to go to the loo when you live in a barn (or were middle-class kiddies in the 1930s too well-bred to have bottoms?) .. no, best just to wallow. Though I did long to shake Sue, the elder girl, and get her to stop washing and cleaning for her brothers - even their hankies, yuck - and making their beds! Sue, you are training up three useless husbands for the next generation! And possibly this book should come with a warning about putting flighty ideas into parents' heads: 'Sorry, dearies, had a bang on the head, woke up half way up a mountain and forgot you brats existed' ... even today's helicopter parents might be sorely tempted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also prefer that cover, which Is the edition I have. The parents' behaviour is quite inexplicable so, as you say, just suspend disbelief. I like the way Sue stands up to the social worker and is determined to keep the family together.

callmemadam said...

That wasn't anonymous it was me. Blogger is making comments difficult.

Mary said...

Yes, the DV is a horror, callmemadam.

I wish Blogger hadn't disabled paragraphs! If anyone knows how to restore them, I'd be grateful.

Lucille said...

I loved that book, in that edition but I worried a lot about the non-existent toilet facilities. The hay box cooking was the gossamer thread by which I remembered the book for years until I finally pinned the title down.