Sunday 8 October 2023

What an absolutely fabulous show ... as soon as the curtain went up on Iolanthe's fairyland I was smiling. Lovely afternoon matinee yesterday with a friend, full of colour and laughter. The set design - whether fairyland or the House of Lords - is fantastic.
The gorgeousness of the Coliseum hits me every time. We lingered admiring the mosaics in the entrance hall but I googled them when I get home, thinking they might be by Boris Anrep - they're not. Turns out they're not mosaics at all, but glass chips over paint. You'd never guess. Still a warm, sunny afternoon when we emerged so we walked up to Soho for apple strudel ice cream and black fig sorbet. Still dithering over whether I should have gone for the marron glacé so I might have to go back before the autumn menu disappears. (Friend is very accommodating about my pernicketiness about the best ice-cream shop! Which is this one, trust me!)

8 comments:

Sue said...

Very glad to hear that you enjoyed this, Mary! I have tickets for Saturday afternoon. I love the Coliseum too. Fingers crossed that there are trains running at the weekend...

Mary said...

It was brilliant, Sue - you'll love it! And good luck with the trains/tube - it must be so hard to plan if you need to book in advance.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I was in Soho on Saturday. If only I'd known....
xxx

Mary said...

I'm sure I'd recognise you, Vronni! You'd have been wearing something fantastic. (Sadly, I wasn't!)

Pam said...

I love G and S. I'm glad you had it warm; we had October and a wet one at that. My English granddaughter spent the day with her mum at the other granny's in Nottingham and was wearing a summer dress.

Mary said...

I don't think I've ever seen another production of Iolanthe, Pam, other than the Ratepayers' Iolanthe back in the 80s - which was hilarious.
So confusing, this October weather. I was clutching a raincoat which I felt I needed when I set out! Everybody else was in summer dresses!

Sue said...

Mary, you were right. I loved it. (I mean, it was absolutely mad, but fantastic).

Mary said...

Oh, good - I'm glad you liked it,Sue. Wasn't it fun!!