Tuesday 1 September 2020

Jules Dupré - The sea, after 1875 (Ordrupgaard museum) Detail cr. Alexandre  Behnam | Art, Painting, Outdoor
Jules Dupré - The sea

This was one of my favourite paintings recently in the Royal Academy's Gauguin and the Impressionists exhibition. I've never come across Jules Dupré as far as I can recall - but that is properly wet sea and, maybe because it's months since I've seen the sea, I felt very drawn to it. 


Snowy Landscape, Eragny, Evening - Camille Pissarro

I'm not wild about Gauguin (anyway, he's tagged on the end of the exhibition almost as an afterthought) but I do love Pissarro and this snowy scene - though it doesn't reproduce well - lit up the whole gallery and kept drawing me back. It's glowing when you see it for real. 




Camille Pissarro, Plum Trees in Blossom, Éragny (The Painter's Home)
Camille Pissarro, Plum Trees in Blossom, Éragny (The Painter's Home)

All the works come from Ordrupgaard in Copenhagen - where I visited once, about 30 years ago,  so apart from a few that were familiar from exhibitions, over the years, they all seemed new to me. 

Woman With a Jug, c1858-60, by Édouard Manet.
Woman With a Jug, c1858-60, by Édouard Manet.

It did seem strangely busy at the Royal Academy; rather more jostling than anywhere else I've been. I felt quite put out - I've been enjoying my peaceful gallery visits as as a definite COVID-plus! 

No comments: