Saturday 28 March 2020



And all across the land, people who had never jogged before spluttered to the parks convinced that Boris's hour of exercise was a government directive - and women blitzed spiders' webs in a frenzy of spring-cleaning - and bakers, reckless of their figures, joined #bakecorona (launched by my heroine Regula Ysewijn who confessed on radio yesterday that she has 80 eggs and 40k of flour, but I have five eggs and 3k and can't keep up! However, I am mightily impressed by this gentleman's fish battenberg pie! - although as I've only got two trout fillets in the freezer, that won't be happening here any time soon.)
No, it's time that I did my bit for mental health and launched #slothcorona a support group for those who are happy to lie in bed until mid-day.
Meanwhile, your personalised TV Times service continues - and next up, coming soon on BBC3, is Normal People.  I'm afraid I was bored by this when I read it last year; it didn't merit a blogpost at the time. That's maybe because I'm way too old to care about the romantic tribulations of millennials. (I think this is possibly the first time I have ever watched anything on BBC3!) However, desperate times - and I'll own up to enjoying the first few episodes of the TV series rather more than the book. Probably because of lovely Irish voices and a Sligo/Dublin setting. 

Also, you probably know already, but the National Theatre is streaming online as of next Thursday at 7pm. First up is One Man, two Guvnors - but I'm not a fan of James Corden so I'll be holding on for Jane Eyre the following week. If only they'd do My Beautiful Friend or Home, I'm Darling, both of which I missed.

8 comments:

Gina said...

Looking forward to some of the National Theatre’s live streams too. We read Normal People for our reading group (it got a mixed reception) so i’ll Be interested to see that too.

Mary said...

A friend read it and she also thought it was over-rated - but we do have very similar tastes. I think possibly in my 20s I'd have related to it more, Gina. But easier to watch on TV when you've invested less time/effort.

callmemadam said...

Thank you for your updates. TV listings mags are uselsss at the moment!

Mary said...

I didn't realise I was actually useful, Callmemadam! All the time in the world for writing - and not much to write about!

xiaomao said...

Good morning! You are useful! In happier times I was so grateful for your many suggestions for all sorts of things, especially the slightly outside the box exhibitions that I would have missed without your recommendations. The gingerbread houses at Christmas! Who knew? I shall be tuning in to the NT plays being streamed, and even though 'One Man...' wasn't a favourite I am looking forward to Jane Eyre which I missed because it is so long - hurrah for the pause button. Lots coming from the Hampstead Theatre as well.
So, please keep posting. I love reading your blog and slothcorona sounds right up my street.

Mary said...

Thanks, Xiaomao - what a nice comment! When all this is over, I have a feeling I'll be first in the door of the first exhibition to re-open!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Yes, I knew about the NT plays, Mary, and am looking forward to them. Not sure about the Sally Rooney book; it didn't grab me when it was being hyped up for pretty much the same reasons as you!

I'm not exactly in the slothcorona category but spring cleaning hasn't appealed; nor decorating nor batch cooking; but I have finished 'The Mirror and the Light' and started a new crochet project and a new book. Oh, and I walked 7 miles today...

Mary said...

The trouble with living in London is that it's a bus ride to anything more than the local park; I have a feeling it will be very busy along by the river - cyclists are a plague at the best of times.