Saturday 7 March 2020



I was going to say it must be 40 years since I read anything by Elizabeth Goudge, but actually it's more like 50 - gulp! I adored Towers in the Mist and Gentian Hill when I was 12 or 13 and could submerge myself in a book in a way that, sadly, doesn't happen quite in the same way any more. But I've thoroughly enjoyed this novel about the Civil War and it's put me in the historical mood for Hilary Mantel. In fact, I've got such a crush on Thomas Cromwell - or is it Mark Rylance's eyes? - that it's almost like being 13 again and falling head over heels for anything in a doublet and hose!
Fortunately, my mum was very understanding - and, "I'm reeaaaddding..." was an excuse that got me out of pretty much anything.

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

How I loved Elizabeth Goudge's books at around the same age! I've tried to find as many of hers as I can and have started to reread them over the past couple of years. I was struck at how deeply religious they are in places. I still have quite a few left to reread - and find!

I'm looking forward to reading 'The Mirror and the Light; I believe I might be in possession of a copy on Monday...
xxx

Mary said...

I bought a pile of her Damerosehay books a few years ago for 10p each, Vronni - but haven't got round to reading them, partly because they're unpleasantly musty and also when I flicked through, they seemed too religious for me. I think I'd prefer the historical ones.
I hope Thomas turns up on time ... (you see, we're on quite pally terms now!) I think almost every woman I know has bought a copy! Well, HM richly deserves the royalties. I wonder what she'll do next? She must feel bereft.