Friday 14 October 2022

An afternoon of escapism with Mrs Harris and a bar of chocolate for lunch. (Yuck, disgusting greasy Ferrero-Rocher, won't be doing that again in a hurry.) The film was charming but I was disappointed that Temptation - the Dior creation chosen by Mrs H - was nothing like the extravagant black velvet gown in the book, beaded with jet, its top a 'froth of cream, delicate pink and white chiffon, tulle and lace'- but instead a very elegant, but not nearly so luscious New Look red cocktail dress. No ... surely Temptation should be the kind of gown that little girls and London charladies sigh over? More than 50 years since I first read Paul Gallico's book - but I have never forgotten his description of that dress, or the twinge of sadness that Mrs Harris was far too old to emerge like Venus with bingo-wings from clouds of chiffon and tulle. And also - what happened to Mrs Harris's signature green straw hat with the preposterous rose? But I did enjoy a feel-good movie ...everything I've seen recently has been miserable!

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I'm hoping to see it this week - I've seen several trailers already...I've yet to read the book.
xxx

Mary said...

The book is lovely, Vronni - I've always remembered the descriptions of the dresses and the flower market.