Monday 10 October 2022

It's always hard deciding what to see during London Film Festival but the new Alan Bennett film Allelujah, about a geriatric ward facing closure, seemed a no-brainer ... what a cast, Judi Dench, Derek Jacobi, Jennifer Saunders. I was expecting a Lady in the Van, poignant but hilarious - but god, it was depressing and maybe it needs a health warning for over-60s audiences who will probably be googling airfares to Switzerland when they get home. Can't imagine what the target audience is: it's too grim for the old, and too grim for the young. I did wonder how the ancient cast members felt, especially Julia Mackenzie laid out as a corpse. It would probably have worked better in theatre which is where it began a few years ago. Round of applause for Judi Dench who was apparently in the Festival Hall last night but she's tiny and we were at the back of the stalls, so we couldn't see her. 7/10 from me which I think is probably over-generous.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Well, as usual, thanks for the recommendations and warnings!

I also have a back-to-school feeling about - well, it's August here when the school year starts. And it's one of great joy - not only do I not have to go to school but neither do I have to resume teaching. Hurray! I mean, I liked teaching. But have decided that I prefer retirement...

Mary said...

The thought of going to an office every day, Pam - and seeing the same old faces - or indeed having to do anything every day!